Hey,

If it you're using a off the shelf production device in which the
manufacturer bootloader inits the screen then you probably don't need to do
that,
I'm using a MSM8250 board from HTC, SPL inits the LCD and i just read the
framebuffer address from the banked MDP register and configure the
framebuffer with that, it works wonderfully and i can have my LCD, printf
working even main() of kernel is executed :)