I'll apologize if I'm doubling up on previous inquires in advance.

A few months ago I had a discussion by e-mail with Mr. Sumrall regarding a
checkin for the Nexus kernel (and I believe is now part of AOSP).  During
this discussion it was noted that many of the Note and Galaxy S II variants
had a eMMC containing a controller firmware susceptible to locking up when
the wipe process introduced in HC and included in ICS was triggered.  It
has been validated by several official releases for the Note; GS2 releases
appear to be fixed based on source that has been released so far.

Long story short, several of us are trying to work this through Samsung to
fix their kernels and/or authorize the release of the update to controller
firmware which might be able to restore some devices; this is in
conjunction with Mr. Sumrall's own efforts.  In the meantime we've told
people to not include the MMC_CAP_ERASE setting in the caps string of the
emmc driver code (ex. sdhci) to avoid calling this process by mistake in
custom kernel builds based on the open source kernel.  But doing this
removes what was well intended - a secure wipe of data on the eMMC.  We
hope that this could be retained somehow.

I've suggested it to Mr. Sumrall by email but figured I'd post it here as
well - Has Google considered a alternate wipe feature for those devices
like the Note/GS2?  There are dev solutions that do similar - write all
zeros to the partition - which could probably be implemented into the AOSP
kernel as a backup.  Since it seems some of the Kindle Fire may be
afflicted by the same bug due to containing a similar eMMC model it seems
that it is prevalent enough to justify inclusion into the open source
kernel.  Haven't heard back from Mr. Sumrall for some time but that could
always be because GIO is coming up as well as the 4th of July.

If there are any additional questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you in advance for your time.