But what if your phone or emulator gets stuck in a "boot-loop"?  It seems
that ADB only works if the ADB daemon can detect the phone or
device/emulator.  I've tried "$ ./adb logtcat" before, but it hangs b/c it
cannot detect the device.

I've tried using the phone's emulator as a work-a-round:  however, upon
running the adb server I get the following error:
error: device offline

I've tried killing adb server, rebooting it, and then running "$ ./adb
devices" to get:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
emulator-5554    offline

Is there a way to turn the phone online?