Earlance has it right, you have to define what you mean by "damaging
the device."  In general it depends on what device you have, and it's
off topic for this list (which deals primarily with modifying the
android kernel).  Instead, it's not clear that you are doing any kind
of development whatsoever, and you might try one of the ever popular
rooting forums..

kris