This is one of those cases where it might be easier to read the code than
to try to explain what the code is trying to do (or to understand my poor
explanation). Starting from bottom up, I'd take a look at these files:
  system/core/rootdir/init.rc
  system/core/include/cutils/sched_policy.h
  system/core/libcutils/sched_policy.c
  frameworks/base/core/jni/android_util_Process.cpp
  core/java/android/os/Process.java
  services/java/com/android/server/am/ActivityManagerService.java
and probably a few more files. Also, this stuff has changed recently and
will probably change again.