Thanks for the help Glenn - I now have more details.

The process triggering the warning is system_server, and this is running as
user "system".

It is trying to write the pid of various other processes
(com.android.inputmethod.latin, com.android.phone. com.android.launcher,
etc) into /dev/inputctl/tasks

But these other processes have a different uid (they run as user app_16,
app_20, radio, etc)

So the kernel/cgroups.c  file does:

                if (cred->euid &&
                    cred->euid != tcred->uid &&
                    cred->euid != tcred->suid) {
                        rcu_read_unlock();
                        cgroup_unlock();
                        return -EACCES;
                }

It fails on the uid check, and returns an error.  (I put a printk here to
confirm this, and confirm the difference in euid and uid)

Is system_server supposed to be running as user "system", and is it
supposed to be trying to change the cgroup of process owned by another user?

Thanks,

John