Hi guys,

I've recently entered the wonderful world of kernel development and I have
been a bit confused on the various toolchains available.  I am currently
working on the Droid DNA, which my first test has been with the source from
HTC.  The readme that came with the source states to use the following:

Please follow below command to download the official android toolchain:
(arm-eabi-4.6)

                git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilt

When I look in the toolchain, there is no such thing as arm-eabi-4.6.  The
only things I could find which I could get to work was arm-eabi-4.4.3.  I
only noticed a few errors when compiling, but it seemed to work for the
most part.  I next tried to use someone else's kernel source, but no matter
what toolchain I have tried it fails to compile.  Is there a specific
toolchain I should be using when working with Android, or can this vary
from kernel to kernel?  Below are the errors I received from my last
compile with HTC source:

net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:16:37: error: linux/netfilter/xt_mark.h: No such
file or directory
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c: In function 'mark_tg':
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:32: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:32: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c: In function 'mark_mt':
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:41: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:41: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:41: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c: At top level:
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:49: error: invalid application of 'sizeof' to
incomplete type 'struct xt_mark_tginfo2'
net/netfilter/xt_mark.c:58: error: invalid application of 'sizeof' to
incomplete type 'struct xt_mark_mtinfo1'
make[2]: *** [net/netfilter/xt_mark.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [net/netfilter] Error 2.

Also, if you guys have any tips or advice you guys have for a newbie kernel
dev would be warmly welcomed.  Anything from little shortcuts you guys use,
or even advice on how to setup up toolchains and what to look for when
editing the config file.

Thanks,
Steve