Hi John,

According to your requirements, you need to ask /init to start a new
service for you.
You can specify this in your /init.<yourboardname>.rc
which is located in device/<manufacturer>/<device> in AOSP.
To get into Android init language, have a look
readme<https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/master/init/readme.txt>
and
the code <http://androidxref.com/4.2.2_r1/xref/system/core/init/>.
On elinux <http://elinux.org/Android_Booting>, there are valuable info
about Android init sequence.

Quick note: if your service is unstable (dev on-going), do not make it
critical (yet):

critical
   This is a device-critical service. If it exits more than four times in
   four minutes, the device will reboot into recovery mode.

Good luck,
Emeric