On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Glenn Kasten <gkas...@android.com> wrote:
> First see http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html
> especially section "Downloading sources".

Right, that's where I've been getting kernels from to look at :-)

> Although android.googlesource.com/kernel/ hosts a git server
> with kernel source repositories for a variety of devices,
> each of those repositories has generally evolved independently.
> Usually an SoC vendor initially took some generic kernel commit,
> added their own device drivers and configuration, and then
> it was integrated with Android to form a particular device release.
> This then continued with successive generations.
> If you look at the repositories, it's usually a 1-1 match between SoC vendor
> and repository name.
> It would be a large amount of work (technically and management-wise) to
> attempt to have
> a single repository that was always up-to-date for all SoC vendors and
> devices,
> and the benefit is not enough to justify the cost.

Okay.  To give some idea of why I ask, I'm wondering how to better
manage product lines for different devices with a common source
branch.  (The idea is that, if you want to verify / test / etc...,
then doing the work for each kernel will be more work.)

I understand the management issue, that's very real, but can you give
any ideas as to why maintaining a single codebase would be difficult?
Because the configurations are different, and include specific mods?
My idea was that most vendors took kernels, added a few modules,
changed the configuration, and that was that.

I'll try to dig in the sources to answer this myself.