Stephen Smalley you are the man!!!!   That small bit of information is what
I needed to make this work...

I wanted to share what I did because I'm probably not the the only guy who
has run into this!  Its really not "crystal" clear on that android
website.  I like real life "working" examples :)

--------------------------------
Download the ASOP by doing what is outlined on this website:
http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

mkdir ~/bin
PATH=~/bin:$PATH
curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
mkdir  SOURCE
cd  SOURCErepo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest
-b android-4.2.2_r1OR
repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest
repo sync
* find the binaries for you specific phone and download them to the  SOURCE
directory
-> sh extract-imgtech-maguro.sh * your binary files maybe named differently.
execute each one.
source build/envsetup.sh
lunch* Pick the number that corresponds to the model phone you have
make -j1 otapackageOR
make*
---------------------
You should now have a working version of ASOP.

Now build your own kernel.
--------------------
*NOTE: I am using the same environment and shell that I used to compile the
ASOP so I did not have to
make any modifications to my environment variables. If you are using a
fresh shell you will have to setup your
environment using the info in the *Building* section of this page:
http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html
-------------------------
mkdir /kernel_src
cd /kernel_src

git clone https://android.googlesource.com/device/ti/panda

cd /SOURCE/device/samsung/tuna
git log kernel

* The log should contain notes of the commit SHA1 for the appropriate
kernel project.  Keep this value at hand so that you can use it in
a later step. TIP: Record the 7 digit number in the body section of the log
message. This was not clear to me at 1st.

cd /kernel_src/panda

git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/omap.git

cd omap
make tuna_defconfig
make
cp arch/arm/boot/zImage /SOURCE/device/samsung/tuna/kernel
cd /SOURCE
make
cd /SOURCE/out/target/product/toro
flash your *.img files to the cellphone

It should boot with the new custom kernel. :)
NOTE:  The information above is for Google Nexus.