To begin, you'd better not to. You'll fall in having to debug problems that
will take ages to debug.
First make sure you can find and build a kernel that works with your device.
It is easily achieved with the kernel tree provided by your SoC
manufacturer (e.g.
http://www.omappedia.com/wiki/LinuxOmapKernelGitTreesfor OMAP).
For x86, I guess you'll find valuable info
here<https://sites.google.com/a/android-x86.org/web/documents/customizekernel>
.

When done, I would recommend you to make a list of the features, contained
in most recent kernel versions, that you want on your device.
Isolate the patchsets associated and integrate them one by one. After each
feature integration, verify that your kernel boots and that the feature is
present and functional.

Emeric