What do you mean by *fails*? Do you have an error log or your device
refuses to wake up and seems to have crashed?

When suspend/resume *crashes* your device, it is most likely coming from a
driver, not a task.
And because we are on android-kernel mailing-list, I will give you a kernel
answer :-)
USB will be disabled when your device enters suspend. So ADB won't help in
such a case.
You need an UART connection. Problem here is that UART is disabled when
entering suspend.
Fortunately, you can add no_console_suspend=1 to your kernel command line
to have your console active while suspended.

Then enable printks for power/suspend.c or some other related files. And
you'll be able to see on the console what happens.
Search for PM_SUSPEND_DEBUG compile switch. And have a look to power stuff
in kernel documentation.

Emeric