On nexus 7 I do that using the command "fastboot oem unlock".  And I am
under the impression that unlocking the bootloader and rooting the phone
are two different things, and former does not require the later.
I wanted to know whether unlocking operation replaces the existing
bootloader? Currently I get to see "Flo-03.14" as boot-loader version.
I hope that is the second stage bootloader, stored somewhere(maybe on boot
partition) on the internal storage.

Kindly correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Best regards.