Firstly, the kernel does boots up in case of power-of charge.
Its booted in a special mode (maybe with different .rc file)  such that
only the charging related process is spawned up (but kernel and drivers are
loaded).

Secondly, the power-off wake up can be done by RTC clock. As a RTC clock is
only h/w that is awake after power off or android deep sleep stage, other
area which is powered is of course the power button area.

This RTC clock is h/w dependent. But i assume most Soc support it.

To do a quick self test without installing any app ..
1)You can look for a dev node like /dev/rtc0 or rtc1 in adb shell...
2) By doing echo on the relevant dev/rtc node,  the no. of seconds in
future you can set a RTC alarm which CAN (not must) power on the device.
3) Switch off the device after the echo command.

Note :May not work , depending on hardware implementation
Referer below link for syntax and other info :
https://www.linux.com/learn/docs/672849-wake-up-linux-with-an-rtc-alarm-clock

Regards,
Anirudh