I am a longtime techie, but Android and Linux are new territory for me.

My goal is to build Android 2.2 for the Nook Simple Touch.

The nook uses a TI omap processor.

Version 1.2.1 of the Nook software runs a crippled version of Android 2.1
with the kernel identified as 2.6.29-omap1.

I have downloaded the nook source and the update source code from B&N.

I would like to check the diff between the B&N kernel source and the base
source they started with.  My goal is to identify what the hardware drivers
I will need to build into the kernel and to explore other mods they may
have made..

The trouble is, when I visit
http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html and follow the
instructions for cloning the ti panda board -- which is what I am assuming
they used as a base, the directory structure looks nothing like the
download from B&N.

In the cloned panda directory has only these subdirectories:  audio,
bluetooth, overlay, recovery, self-extractors, wl12xx

The kernel directoryy in the downloaded B&N source has many more, but none
of those.  The first few directories are:  arch, block, crypto,
Documentation, drivers, firmware, fs.

.