if there is CM brunch target then the CM build will pick a config file and
build a kernel (likely not the baseline / reference kernel for the shipping
device from the OEM but, at least something someone thought worked)

Another trick to get a proper config (assuming its enabled) "adb pull
/proc/config.gz" and ungzip the actual config from the device.  note:
/proc/config.gz is an option they may not have enabled but if there its a
life saver.  YMMV.

FWIW no moduels makes it simpler for you.

Other random thoughts I have are
1) where did you get the kernel source *exactly*.  (git remote and branch)
2) what toolchain is getting used to compile your kernel.  how are you
setting CROSS_COMPILE and ARCH on your make command line for the kernel?
 and where did you get whatever toolchain in use with compiling your kernel?

make V=1 will make the kernel build more verbose around what compiler and
comile time options used that could help you.

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM, zoe vas <zoev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot about your quick responses.
>
> As for *mark gross *comments:
>
> What do you mean with the baseline  build for the htc device? There are
> many
> defconfig files in the arch/arm/configs folder. I chose the
> supersonic_defconfig
> which is for the htc 4g evo device (model supersonic). Is there some
> defconfig for
> the baseline build or do you mean something else?
>
> - I get the .config file by doing make ARCH=arm supersonic_defconfig.
> I didn't modified the supersonic_defconfig.
>
> - I saw that  strip --strip-debug filename removes debugging symbols from
> a binary.
> Do you mean to run strip on every *.ko?
> However, I don't find any modules in my kernel folder.
> Also, I unset CONFIG_MODULES in the .config file and i have again the same
> error about boot.img.
>
> - I do in the kernel folder:
>      make bzImage
> and again  a zImage is produced and not a bzImage. To produce a bzImage, I
> found only this way in the web.
>

> *JF Dionne:*
> - I downloaded this version of android from Cyanogenmod:
>
>     repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread
>
>   and the kernel source from
> https://github.com/CyanogenMod/htc-kernel-supersonic .
>
>   The supersonic_defconfig is already in the arch/arm/configs   folder of
> the kernel source.
>
>   You mentioned  "Did you check the versions for each to see if they
> match?"
>    What versions to check? The version of the kernel is* 2.6.32*.
>

>   I also tried another kernel git clone git://
> github.com/CyanogenMod/cm-kernel.git
>     cd cm-kernel
>     git checkout supersonic-kernel-2.6.34
>
>     but i get this error:
>
>     In function 'msm_v4l2_video_dev_init':
>    drivers/media/video/msm/msm_v4l2.c:713: error: 'VID_TYPE_CAPTURE'
> undeclared (first use in this function)
>
>    Therefore, i tried the version* 2.6.32* which is built successfully
> but i face the problem with the very large boot.img.

create interesting things.