If you're asking about a general Linux kernel, you'd be better off
finding a mailing list tailored to beginner distro development.

If you're asking about a specific device that you'd like to port
Android to, it would be best to start with hardware known to be
compatible.

But it sounds like what you're asking is an even simpler question:
what are the advantages of compiling your own kernel?  This is much
different than authoring your own extensions to the kernel, which will
take quite a bit of knowledge about Linux and C.  Compiling your own
kernel has some advantages, but the main ones are being able to
include features (e.g., hardware extensions) in the kernel without
having to load them as modules.  For most things these days, loading
your own modules is sufficient.

Kris