I am modifying and upstreaming goldfish audio driver to use ALSA framework.
Initial patch email is available
at
http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/driverdev-devel/2016-February/086002.html.

The patch will be taken in only if android emulator user space is able to
use ALSA driver, currently it uses a custom audio HAL. Will Android
emulator switch audio HAL to use ALSA interface instead of the current HAL
if this driver gets merged upstream? If so I will proceed with further
development.

To use ALSA interface tinyalsa library can be used which is available in
AOSP at external/tinyalsa already.

Note: I don't know the right person to contact to get this answered so
posting here. Feel free to let me know if this is not the correct place, if
possible point me to correct place.

Thanks,
PrasannaKumar