I followed the instructions at
http://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dream
and the build failed with the following error:

make: *** No rule to make target `vendor/htc/dream/proprietary/akmd',
needed by`out/target/product/dream/system/bin/akmd'.  Stop.

Is something broken or did I miss a step?

Ultimately, I'm trying to determine how to add another vendor's target
into the android build system and was trying to use the dream build as
an example.  Is there documentation regarding how to properly add
another vendor's target to the build system, or might an android team
member be able to shed some light on the proper way to achieve this?

Thanks.