Could you please tell me if this is the same behavior as seen on the G1, or
this is something different?  It doesn't sound like the normal scrolling
behavior.  Actually what you describe sounds completely broken (when you let
go it just jumps directly to where it would finish if it had done the normal
deceleration thing?!?), but I am really having trouble understanding exactly
what you are talking about.

At the very least, if you can't try this on a G1, could you try on official
SDK emulator and see if you get the same behavior there?