It looks that your configuration in grub is incorrect.
You can modify it according to the reported sdb:
/boot/grub/menu.lst:
kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sdb2 rootdelay=6 rw ...
Or use the make-live script to build the usb book disk again, by
selecting 1 or default when promting "How many disks are built into
the system you will run on 0,[1],2,3? "
--
 Chen