the /bin directory contains the cross-toolchain programs with the arm-eabi-
prefix, e.g. arm-eabi-gcc, arm-eabi-nm, etc..
the /arm-eabi/bin contains the same programs without the prefix (gcc, nm,
etc...)

Apart from that, I believe they are the same programs. I don't know exactly
why we can't restrict our build system to use only
one branch. I suspect some sad legacy support issue when a tool needs to
call another one, but maybe this can be cleaned up
after all.