Indeed, the VM is configured to fail allocations beyond 16MB. That
includes regular object allocations, as well as the back-end storage
for bitmaps (and that list might not be exhaustive), and I don't know
how the fragmentation is taken into account, but doesn't include all
the memory allocated by native code which can currently go beyond the
16MB limit.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru