Sorry I have no idea why it was using the mid policy.  Actually I have no
idea what the mid policy actually does -- I've never looked at it except to
hack it to make it build when I change the window manager API.  I didn't
even know anyone was actually using it.  That is why I was just going to
delete it. :}