Hi android porters,

I've got an accelerated EGL/OpenGLES implementation that I'm trying to
hook up.  This implementation does not use framebuffer drivers, so I'm
a little confused about how to get this going.

I've had some success:  I can see that surface flinger is able to
create the display and the initial context.  I can even see that the
CPU gauge is able to draw correctly.  Unfortunately the launcher/
window manager displays a few pink flashes, then renders just black.
I can't say what the boot animation does.  The Boot ani calls a
drawing extension that my implementation doesn't support, so I've got
it turned off.

Aside from the pink flashes on-screen, one of the obvious problems is
that the window manager service is attempting to allocate surfaces
that have dimension of 0x0 pixels.  While the CPUGauge correctly
allocates a surface of window-width x 4 pixels.  From where is the
window manager service supposed to get the surface dimensions?

Obviously, I'm missing some plumbing somewhere, but I don't know
where.  Can anyone provide some insight into how to hook up hardware
accelerated graphics for non-frame buffer devices?  Also, is there
some architectural document/specification that shows the full Android
graphics stack and how it all works together?

I've made some progress on sorting out the stack myself, but I get a
little confused when I try to trace the stack up past the JNI layer.
Do I even need to worry about that?  On the lower end, I'm pretty sure
the I can safely ignore the EGLDisplaySurface class, as it seems to
only be used by the non-accelerated frame buffer device.  But does
this mean that I can also safely ignore the existing
EGLNativeWindowSurface or do I need to do something there?  Really,
how far up the graphics stack will my acceleration architecture need
to go?  I was hoping that I would only need surface flinger to
correctly initialize the acceleration and then it would Just Work
(tm).  Alas... no.

Any hints, tips, or other help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Aarnio