Look at the status bar code and do something similar.  You may want to look
at PhoneWindowManager to see how it decides to do overall layout of the
screen, though I think it is general enough now that you shouldn't need to
change it just to put a panel at the bottom of the screen (though you may
need to do something to give it a specific Z-order).

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.