On Jun 16, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Wenlong Li wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know Android supports several media types. My question is for a
> given media type input, such as H.264, where the corresponding media
> decoder is chosen for processing this media input? I suppose it is
> done in opencore based on the file extension and metadata?

Ignoring all the excitement in the Java layers...

The first thing that happens is that the native mediascanner code in
opencore
classifies files into container formats using extensions. It parses
the container
headers to see if it has video/audio and a few other details. Anything
that doesn't
fail here is available to the MediaPlayerService.

Then you need to follow the MediaPlayerService::getPlayerType() where
anything
that's not vorbis or midi falls through to opencore, returning
PV_PLAYER. This is
what would happen in the case of your H.264 example (in an .mp4). At
that point,
createPlayer() is called to create an instance of the opencore player.

-Matt