Do you actually want to go through the process of porting
Android or just run Android on a ARM board... If its the
latter, then look into a Beagle Board www.beagleboard.org
since Android is already ported. If you are looking for the
porting experience, I just started working with a Mini2440.
Its a reasonably priced ARM9 board with a LCD touch
screen... The US distributor is http://www.andahammer.com.

The BeagleBoard is $60 more, it doesn't have an LCD but
it has more memory, a DSP and runs faster for about the
same amount of power, 1-2watts. I have a simple touch
screen app I want to build, so I choose the 7" Mini2440
because I did not want to futz around with adapting an
LCD panel to it.. If I were going to use it on a robotics
project, I would of probably chosen a Beagle Board.
Both boards have GPIO, the 2440 probably has more
if you don't use the camera module, but both require
level shifting if you need 5v compatible pins

John Gentilin