Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see you describing your DNS client anywhere. Does the bionic libc do that?

Nikhil Gautam wrote:
Thanks Csillag,

I did tried busybox and it produces the similar error. The only difference is with busybox, I can't even ping "localhost" which is defined in /etc/hosts. Ping to IP address works fine.
Note: I am building busybox statically linked.

Do you know how does android applications resolve names or how do I get the android ping to work with name?

Thanks.

Jolly

2009/8/12 Csillag Tamas <csta...@digitus.itk.ppke.hu>

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:58:11AM -0700, jolly1312 wrote:
> I am trying to get the ping working in Android running on ARM.
>
> Ping to IP addresses works fine but when I ping to name I get
>
> "ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com"
> Also /etc/resolv.conf is also there:
> echo nameserver 4.2.2.2 > /etc/resolv.conf

I think the thing is that android userland tools (bionic libc) does
not use resolv.conf nor nss. You should use busybox for this purpose.

Regards,
 cstamas
--
CSILLAG Tamas (cstamas) - http://digitus.itk.ppke.hu/~cstamas