Development builds aren't pre-dexed, so during the first boot (or any boot
where a dex file or any libs it is dependent on have changed) the system
will need to run dexopt.

On production builds, the optimized dex files are included with the system
image, so none of this has to happen.  The only thing that will happen is
when booting after a system update dexopt will be run for all third party
apps to re-optimize them with the new system.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.