David Turner wrote:
[...]
> memory overcommit is used by design, there is no plan to remove it. The fact
> that the OOM killer will nuke processes to make room for others is part
> of the
> platform's design. As far as I know, the OOM changes were to make the killer
> a bit smarter about what kind of processes it would try to kill first.

Yes, but that doesn't really answer my question --- *why* is memory
overcommit used on Android? It's normally used on systems with huge
amounts of swap to make more efficient use of physical memory, but
Android devices don't have any swap.

The specific problem I've got here is that an app can successfully
allocate memory which it then can't use. Memory overcommit hides memory
allocation failures from the app. The first the app knows that the
memory isn't available is when the OOM killer terminates it without warning!

--
David Given
d...@cowlark.com