On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Xuan Zhang <allsy1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, I plan to do some experiment about virtual machine running
> mobile os. So I intend to run Android on Qemu rather than the "android
> emulator".
>
> I have seen android has four images: kernel-qemu,system.img,
> userdata.img and ramdisk.img. However, I still can't figure out how to
> pass them to qemu.

use the -verbose flag, it will print the internal "command-line" being
passed to QEMU.

> BTW, it seems "android emulator" defines goldfish. Is it possible to
> port it to qemu?
>
> Actually, I wonder whether one of the following can work:
> 1.  Get the hw part of goldfish, and compile it with original qemu.
> Then run qemu with proper argument passing the images.
> 2. Modify the "android emulator" such that its interfaces works
> exactly as a specalized qemu rather than a emulator.
>
> I am really new to android, thanks very much.

In theory, it should be possible to do that by:

1/ integrating the hw/goldfish_*.[hc] sources into the upstream qemu
sources, they correspond to goldfish-specific hardware emulation that simply
must be implemented in QEMU. "Goldfish" is the name of the virtual ARM
machine/platform for the Linux kernel variant used to generate the
kernel-qemu image.

2/ finding the right mix of command-line options when invoking qemu to
duplicate what the normal Android emulator does (see output of -verbose
option for examples)

Note that the result will probably have no telephony emulation, not proper
network connectivity plus a bunch of missing features (no skins, no proper
keyboard emulation, etc...). However, chances are that it will run.

Good luck