The download manager follows the state of connectivity quite closely
(more so than most apps), so if there's an issue in the way
connectivity is reported to apps, the download manager tends to be the
first one to show symptoms.

Check isNetworkAvailable() at
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/providers/DownloadProvider.git;a=blob;f=src/com/android/providers/downloads/Helpers.java;h=d8f262c782b6f3d870574a00b270ebd8b180c0d9;hb=HEAD#l468

JBQ