Hello, I'm very interested into this port too.. And I would really
like to help..

I think that with the Samsung PC Tools suite you can already replace
the firmware of the phone via usb...
(Btw I think the firmware must be packaged in a format suitable for
those tools...)

However I noticed something inside the limo package list here:
http://opensource.limofoundation.org/index.php/limo-open-source.html
Into the limo OS package list there is also openssh...
This means that there must be some kind of shell subsystem already
present on the phone...
And maybe under certain conditions it must even be accessible via
ssh....

I wonder if this could be a way to lurk inside the filesystem of the
phone...