You can't keep screen backlight on with sys/power/wake_lock... It's used to gate auto suspend only. If in your system early suspend is turning off backlight then holding lock at kernel level won't help. You might need to check if you have backlight interfce implimented to handle turnin it on/off as needed.

-girish