>I want to see what changes "they/Android" did to the "real" kernel
>to make the Android Kernel. If I could get the correct version of the
>"real" (base)  kernel they started with, and do a diff with the end
>product kernel (if I can locate that one too!), I would know whats
>changed...

Each android release uses specific kernel version from linux
kernel.org kernel tree.
donut (1.6) is based on 2.6.27
eclair (2.0/2.1) is based on 2.6.29, and now later on 2.6.32

Android doesnt modify and maintain its own kernel kernel tree (say
dont fork from kernel.org tree), but keep contribute to kernel.org
kernel.
you can see log of patches from google engineers being pushed to
kernel tree.. eg: http://lwn.net/Articles/318614/

And all the below are mirrors of kernel trees listed at android.git.kernel.org
>kernel/common.git
>kernel/experimental.git  -> some experimental stuff
>kernel/linux-2.6.git  -> supposed to be kernel tree used in android version
>kernel/lk.git        -> not a kernel tree, but a bootloader
>kernel/msm.git
>kernel/omap.git  -> mirror of kernel tree maintained by texas instruments.,
>supporting OMAP chips. usually based on kernel.org latest version, android
>products w OMAP chip can use this kernel port.
>kernel/tegra.git  -> nvidia kernel tree

so, in your manifest file, you will mention what kernel tree you are
going to be used for ur platform..
for eg., see below manifest.,
http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/omapmanifest.git;a=blob;f=default.xml
it picks 2.6.29 kernel tree from a kernel git.

-Deva