I guess 'android-developers' list can address this better
'm not much of an app-developer, but here is my two-cents.

Have you checked IMF(input method framework) in android??
http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=core/java/android/view/inputmethod/InputMethodManager.java

there may be a test case in code base, u can refer it and start using it.
and a google write up is available at
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/04/updating-applications-for-on-screen.html