In layman terms Plan is ur testing plan. A plan has different packages
that contains test suites and test cases at lower level. If u check
out/host/linux-86/cts/android-cts/repository/testcases, u will find
different xml's explaining packages and their testcases.

Natively cts gives 8 plans like VM plan tests dalvik Virtual machine
tests and similarly Performance plan have performance related test
cases..
One can have same packages included in different plans also. So i can
have my plan having packages from different plans.

Also plan, packages and test cases can be added into CTS.

Ashish Pareek