I have created a shared library, libgps.so that implements the gps.h
in order to
use a GPS receiver with Android and the libgps.so file was installed
into the
system/lib when the build completed.

I get the following from logcat...libhardware_legacy(  772): no GPS
hardware on this device.

In the hardware/libhardware_legacy/gps/gps.cpp file, a
HAVE_GPS_HARDWARE flag is wrapped around
the call to the gps_get_hardware_interface()...in the same directory,
I set BOARD_GPS_LIBRARIES
yet I still get the "no GPS hardware..." message.

BOARD_GPS_LIBRARIES := libgps.so

ifneq ($(BOARD_GPS_LIBRARIES),)
  LOCAL_CFLAGS           += -DHAVE_GPS_HARDWARE
  LOCAL_SHARED_LIBRARIES += $(BOARD_GPS_LIBRARIES)
endif

Any suggestions?

Thanks.