Thanks for all of the hints from everyone...

I have determined that my problem was trying to execute fastboot
without SU privledges... if you exeuct $ sudo fastboot... fastboot
must be in a path that is in the root users path in order to execute
properly. So in order to make this work had to do the following...

1) enable root account
        1.$ sudo passwd root            (Enter a password when prompted)
2) $ su                                       (Enter your root password)
3) copy fastboot into your /usr/local/bin directory

I am sure any combination of things that would put the fastboot
executable into a path that was executable by the root user would
work...

I think I should write up all the steps from clean install of Ubuntu --
> Building baseline of Android --> Getting adb and fastboot to work
under Ubuntu 10.4... Maybe I will do this once I figure out how to
build for an actual target like Nexus One instead of just generic
build.