Adding something to init.rc is fine if it's a Linux-layer
application / daemon / service. If you need an Android level app to be
started, you need your app to listen for the BOOT_COMPLETED broadcast
intent, and your broadcast receiver needs to start whatever should be
started -- normally a service, rather than a UI-based application.