Hi
I'm having trouble where a clean build of Android 2.1 or 1.6 source
does not run properly on the emulator or the dev phone (ADP2), and
doesn't detect the sd card.

I have spent countless days rebuilding and trying various things.

A summary of my environment and procedure is:

I have purchased the ADP2 dev phone with a working SD card in it.
I have a linux box with Ubuntu 10.04 installed.
I downgraded to Java 1.5 SDK from 1.6 (as per instructions from
source.android.com).
I downgraded to gcc/g++ 4.3 from 4.4 (Do I need to do this?).

I obtained the Android 2.1 (eclair) source from git/repo.
I called “source ./build/envsetup.sh”.
I used “choosecombo” and chose “Device”, “Release”, “generic” and
“eng” for the build options -- Is this correct? I'm not supposed to
build for "simulator", am I?
I built the source using “make” from the top level directory.
I created an SD card image (called sdcard1.iso) using “mksdcard 256M”.

When I run the emulator with the following command:
emulator -sysdir out/target/product/generic -kernel prebuilt/android-
arm/kernel/kernel-qemu -data out/target/product/generic/userdata.img -
ramdisk out/target/product/generic/ramdisk.img -system out/target/
product/generic/system.img -sdcard ./sdcard1.iso

The emulator boots, but the “calendar” application crashes when the
phone boots .
If I run the “music” application, it crashes. I have since discovered
that apparently there are some resources missing which I need to
manually fix.

The system can detect the sd card disk image I created.

The same problems occur if I fastboot the ADP2 dev phone using
fastboot flash system out/target/product/generic/system.img flash
userdata out/target/product/generic/userdata.img

The phone boots but again the calendar crashes (“force close” window)
when the phone has started up.
Additionally, the phone reports a “No SD card” icon in the status bar
at the top.

I then read that the ADP2 does not support Android OS higher than 1.6
(?!?!? not sure why I bought it then)

Anyway, so I obtained Android 1.6 (donut) source and built it with
make.

When I boot it with command
fastboot flash system out/target/product/generic/system.img flash
userdata out/target/product/generic/userdata.img

It boots fine (no crashing applications on start up), however it
cannot detect the SD card.

Finally, I use the emulator to run my Android OS 1.6 build with the
same command line as above
emulator -sysdir out/target/product/generic -kernel prebuilt/android-
arm/kernel/kernel-qemu -data out/target/product/generic/userdata.img -
ramdisk out/target/product/generic/ramdisk.img -system out/target/
product/generic/system.img -sdcard ./sdcard1.iso

This boots ok – sometimes an application crashes when it starts up
(e.g. last time it was some MMS activity).

However it also cannot detect the SD card.

My questions are:
1. Why would a clean build of the Android OS not run properly on the
emulator? Are there more/special steps to get it to work on the
emulator OR dev phone? I can't seem to find any official documentation
for the dev phone.

2. Do you have any idea why my Android 1.6 build of the system image
(on both emulator and ADP2 phone) or my Android 2.1 build (running on
the ADP2 dev phone) cannot detect the SD card? Is there some secret
thing here with this?

Thanks in advance!