Actually no, the issue is in the Kernel since you've already booted
into it from your bootloader so it has sufficient support of the SD
card to load your Kernel image. Nothing you do or fix in U-Boot will
directly affect your Kernel not finding/looking for the SD card.

Check your Kernel configuration first..

Regards
-- Ashwin