First you should build that driver source for a desktop linux and make
sure it works with the peripheral.  You may need to add vid/pid codes
to it, or it might be you have the wrong driver.  Figure that out on
the desktop first.

Then you should look at the driver source and see where that no more
free serial devices message is coming from.

You could also return the mid device on the grounds that it contains
pirated software - if they are not offering kernel source code they
are shipping a linux kernel without a license to do so, which is
usually called piracy.