On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Dmitry Grinberg <dmitr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question was about that exactly: are there specific provisions in code
> to forcefully avoid usage of swap, or is it just that nobody tested it with
> swap?

It was designed with the assumption there would be no swap.  Instead it
relies on an out of memory killer to remove background processes when memory
is getting low.  Having this behavior work well with swap raises a lot of
issues about how the two interact...  to be honest, I would lean towards not
using swap even if you can because a swapping system results in a much worse
experience (delayed UI response) than one where background processes are
killed.

Note that we *do* rely on paging, just not swap.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.