Although I am not currently in a position to contribute to your
project, I am in the longer run highly interested in the ability to
connect USB camera glasses (that offer USB webcam functionality), such
as the one described at

http://www.seeingwithsound.com/mini_dv_d008.htm

to Android devices (be it phone, BeagleBoard, or Gumstix), including
my own Android app

http://www.seeingwithsound.com/android.htm

Is this possible if the camera manufacturer only provides video
capture drivers for Microsoft Windows (such as in this case)? Or is
one still entirely dependent on the less frequent availability of a
Linux driver, with source code?

Thanks!