Android porting is at the most basic level Linux porting to new
hardware and the rest usually comes along for the ride (Dalvik,
Goldfish, Android framework and so on)..So get comfortable with the
Linux Kernel first and then learn about how Android is put together so
you can do what you need..

This is something I wrote up in my company, but it might help you too..

Mentor Graphics gave a nice web seminar[1] that lays out Android in
general and how it specifically works on the OMAP35x proessor and the
OMAP3EVM. This is a nice video to give anybody the lay of the Android
land.

The second resource are the mailing lists associated with the porting
efforts, Android-Porting[2] and Rowboat[3].

The definitive source for the Developer (read as application level)
support is at Google's own developer site[4]. There you will also find
a little bit about the architecture of android[5].

And finally, some videos showing the architecture[6],[7],[8] and some
general FAQ[9].

[1] -
http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/multimedia/android-ti-omap35x-webinar?clp=1&cmpid=566
[2] - http://groups.google.com/group/android-porting