You can refer how various stagefright drivers work with decoder
instance., and handle to decoded buffers.

- player drvier

http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=media/libstagefright/AwesomePlayer.cpp;hb=refs/heads/p-froyo#l1017
  decodes a buffer, once ready -> posts it to render to display.

- metadata driver

http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=media/libstagefright/StagefrightMetadataRetriever.cpp;hb=refs/heads/p-froyo#l163
  decodes a buffer, once available, convert it to RGB, to be encoded
and saved as thumbnail

- stagefright test driver
http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=cmds/stagefright/stagefright.cpp;hb=refs/heads/p-froyo#l203
  decodes a buffer, then just frees the buffer (test purpose)

you can modify exisiting drivers, or write your own, and expose
service to framework.

--
Regards,
Deva