Keep vendor.apk in /system/app  (notee that it wont work at /system/
level), so it will be automatically installed by package manager on
first boot, and extract the associated libraries to
/data/data/<vendor-apk>/lib folder .

This shou;d've worked good.
but, if you expect vendor.so to go with rest of the system, it should
be available under global lib path (/system/lib folder)
in that case, you can add vendor.so to your build system, and add it
to your project tree.,

say, sample Android.mk command will look like,
  PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += vendor.so:/system/lib/vendor.so

you can refer such .mk exports from TI make files :
http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=device/ti/blaze.git;a=blob;f=AndroidBoard.mk;h=87eccadddbdb9fdf4876c3bfb9d941e9ae0a5bc3;hb=froyo

--
Regards,
Deva