Since Freetype 2.4, the Bytecode interpreter is enabled by default as
the relevant patents have expired. However, turning on the option in
the Android version of Freetype doesn't work (it builds without errors
but there's no difference in the font rendering, examining screenshots
pixel-by-pixel shows no difference whatsoever).

To enable bytecode rendering I've uncommented the following lines:

TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER in ftoption.h (inside include/
freetype/config)
LOCAL_CFLAGS += "-DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER" in
Android.mk

Is there something else I have to do to turn on the bytecode
interpreter? I have considered the possibility that the Droid fonts
simply lack any hinting information, so I replaced it with Verdana and
still didn't see any changes (i.e. Verdana with BCI enabled renders
exactly the same as Verdana with BCI off).

Could someone help?

Thanks,
Aravind.